Monday, January 9, 2012

Easy DIY Scrap Fabric Wreath

Yesterday I had a hankerin to make something. I chose a scrap fabric wreath and boy am I glad I did, it will be a perfect addition to Maile's sweet room. It didn't take too long and there was no sewing or needle work so I did it on the floor while playing with the girlies. Perfect.
1. Clip the hook off the top of a wire hanger and bend into a circular shape, it doesn’t
have to be perfect. I bent it with my hand first and then used my knee to get a
better shape. Wearing jeans helped.


2. Fabric Materials: *Rough estimates…do what you think looks good.
120 - 1” x 6 – 6.5” strips of desired fabric plus a few extra for filling in at the end.
140 - 2” x 6" tulle strips 10 extra for filling in when necessary.
*I used scrap fabric from past quilting projects…so I am not sure of the exact fabric yardage but I
would guess it is about a yard of regular fabric and a yard of tulle. (If you plan on a full tulle wreath I would have at least 2 yards on hand)
3. Tie all the tulle strips on with two knots. Don’t worry about placement, just yet.

4. Add them all in the same place, only because it is obnoxious to turn and turn and turn to get them in the right place. You are going to adjust them later anyway so why not all at the same time. :)

5. After the tulle has all been tied separate them into 3-5 strip clumps around the hanger.
6. Once you have separated
the tulle tie 5-6 strips of green in between each clump of tulle ties. Make
sure that as you tie the pattern is ending face forward.
*It was at this point that I realized my previous 9 inch strips were too long. 6 - 6.5 inches is the
perfect size to add volume without getting floppy. So I trimmed them ALL before adding more. You can do this later if you desire. Again, they don't have to be exact.
Finished green ties
7. Once the green strips are finished begin adding the pink alternating every other with the green but not with the tulle. The tulle should be clumped together to enhance it. (If you are making an all tulle wreath just remember to clump 3 or 4 strips of each color together)


8. After adding the last of the pink strips look for any empty spots and fill with more strips OR just roughly spread the strips around the hanger. If you look super close you may be able to see some hanger peeking out but it should not be noticeable from a foot away.
9. What it looks like after all the main strips are added and before any embelishments. If you think the length is too long, now is the time to carfully and evenly trim it down.
10. If you want you can add a few fabric accent pieces. Here I added a few brown with complimentary pink, white and green. I only had enough for 4 strips but I like the little pop it gives.
Up close of the brown accent fabric

11. Tie the ribbon to the top sides of the hanger. With the tie end toward the inside of the hanger.
The final product. It is going to hang on the wall above Maile's bed. So sweet!


 

1 comment: